Kunle Fayiga

Ephrance International Women’s Day

International Women’s Day: How Nadongo uses her SBH disability to accelerate progress

Having a disability in certain parts of world like in Africa can be a living hell. Such has been the experience of Ephrance Nadongo, a 26-year-old Ugandan living with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (SBH) from birth but is making a difference and worthy of a spotlight on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2024. International …

International Women’s Day: How Nadongo uses her SBH disability to accelerate progress Read More »

Busola Akinsola Cerebral Palsy

World Cerebral Palsy Day: Oluwabusola’s message of celebration

Every October 6th is celebrated as World Cerebral Palsy Day. It’s a day to raise awareness about the condition and also to push for demands in creating an enabling and inclusive environment for those living with the condition. This year’s theme is titled millions of reasons. Cerebral Palsy is a neurological condition that is caused …

World Cerebral Palsy Day: Oluwabusola’s message of celebration Read More »

World Teacher’s Day

World Teacher’s Day: Embracing and improving attitudes towards inclusive learning

Every October 5 is set aside as World Teacher’s Day to appreciate and improve the efforts of teachers, as well as to provide them with opportunities. It has taken place every year since 1994 when the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) saw the need for teachers across the globe to be given …

World Teacher’s Day: Embracing and improving attitudes towards inclusive learning Read More »

Olaitan Akinsola Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral Palsy: How Olaitan Overcame Nollywood-Shaped Fetish Beliefs about her Daughter’s Diagnosis 

The African continent is a place where traditional beliefs are rife. According to divinity scholar Jacob Olupona, about 10% of Africa’s 1.4 billion people are adherents of traditional beliefs. However often than not, these traditional beliefs are intertwined with the more predominant religious beliefs that make up the remaining 90%, making it difficult to draw …

Cerebral Palsy: How Olaitan Overcame Nollywood-Shaped Fetish Beliefs about her Daughter’s Diagnosis  Read More »

Funto Oguntiloye Hydrocephalus

Hydrocephalus: How coping with discrimination strengthened Funto’s mental health

Nigerians living with disabilities are often marginalised and discriminated against, which has dire consequences not only for their daily living but mental health as well. The nine-month process from pregnancy to childbirth can be very complicated and delicate. When the child is born healthy however, those fears and anxieties are put to bed. Like for …

Hydrocephalus: How coping with discrimination strengthened Funto’s mental health Read More »

Enhancing your parenting approach with the power of intention

Grace Alexander is the mother of a young man with disability. Over time, she learnt she could not overlook her own self care, something parents of children with disabilities tend to do due to the massive caring responsibilities, not to mention limiting beliefs associated with disabilities. Cultivating the mindset of acceptance requires recognising and challenging …

Enhancing your parenting approach with the power of intention Read More »

Samara Spina Bifida

How Hydrocephalus, Spina Bifida almost subjected intelligent Samara to mercy killing

The expectancy of a first child means the world to every parent. It is an indescribable feeling of joy and happiness not just within the concerned family but beyond. The day of delivery, therefore, couldn’t come any sooner. So it was for Mr Hassan Funmilayo, a Design-Build Architect and Mrs Aminat Funmilayo, an accountant-turned-online fashion …

How Hydrocephalus, Spina Bifida almost subjected intelligent Samara to mercy killing Read More »

Hydrocephalus: Remembering Didunoluwa’s life and her mother’s ordeal

The brain is one of the most vital organs of the body because it controls virtually all functions from thinking, movement to breathing, digestion, beating of the heart and so much more. The importance of a healthy brain can therefore not be underestimated. So, what about when things go south like hearing there’s excess water …

Hydrocephalus: Remembering Didunoluwa’s life and her mother’s ordeal Read More »

How Hydrocephalus almost derailed my life

The birth of a child is one of the sweetest experiences in life, and nothing is sweeter than when the child comes out without any complications or conditions, especially those considered congenital (present at birth). That wasn’t for me though. Head circumference is the measurement of a child’s head usually taken when a baby is …

How Hydrocephalus almost derailed my life Read More »

Scroll to Top